Monday, November 20, 2006

All Glory...


Dear Sage, Yesterday I was able to watch, quite accidentally, "the fight" . We were in a mall buying a gift for your friend, Katrina, when I heard thunderous shouts coming from one direction. I realized they were showing the boxing match in public. I became curious enough to come close to the screen with you three girls in tow, together with your Mom,  and Lola. I think I was the only grown man in the crowd with a baby in my arms wearing a barbie backpack full of baby paraphernalias-- an oddity that was fortunately lost to the crowd mesmerized by the bitter glory of the sweet science of boxing.

We only saw the 3rd round. That was enough. When "he" got knocked out and it was all over, we did not stay for the de rigeur interview which probably featured not just the winner but also a lot of hangers on.

I'm sure they were all saying that the winner was great, impressive, brilliant etc.

I'm sure none of them ever told him that when a conquering hero enters Rome with all the pomp and pageantry befitting a demi-god, a slave stands behind him whispering in his ear the words "All glory is fleeting"

No comments:

Letters to my kids about their childhood adventures



To Sage, Sabe, Sade & 3Stan

To Sage, Sabe, Sade & 3Stan
WELCOME!