Sunday, August 26, 2007

Face of Christ


Dear Sage, a few years back, a Mel Gibson film earned a lot of Kudos and endorsements from critiques and religious leaders alike. Everyone still remembers "The Passion of the Christ"

They say that it realistically depicted the last few hours of the Lord here on Earth before his sacrifice on the cross. Everybody lined up to watch it. Maybe because everyone thought they'd see Christ himself in that movie and how he actually suffered for us.

I refused to watch it. I still do. Because the way I see it, the film only indulges the masochistic vision of Mel Gibson. Needless to say, that is not exactly Gospel truth (But I did watch the other Gibson visceral film, "Apocalypto" because it is devoid of the veneer of hypocrisy palpable in "The Passion")

I'm sure Christ did not look like James Caviezel (did I spell it right?)
I'm sure the last few hours of Christ depicted there were not the most painful moments he has ever experienced.

Why?

There's a song I learned in school that says:

"Whatsoever ye do to the least of my brothers,
that,
you do unto me."

It's a biblical verse. You can google it up. But I hope you'd open the Bible instead to verify it.
So, if you want to see the face of Christ, look at the person beside you. Any amount of pain he suffers from another human being, Christ suffers it too.

These past few days, I never stopped talking to you about the world being full of wicked people who want to hurt others, including kids. IN the news lately is the story of a girl who was kidnapped, molested, then murdered. Her small body was found stuffed inside a suitcase floating in a river together with the stench and all the dregs of society.

She was just Nine years old.

We didn't know her personally but she was a schoolmate of your friend and playmate, Peaches.

She was abducted in front of a branch of KUMON. We pass by it everyday.

Hers is the face of Christ. When she suffered, Christ suffered too. I don't even want to think how she suffered as much as I hate to watch the Mel Gibson gorefest.

May the Lord keep you all safe from harm.

May the Lord grant her peace.

"...He said, "She has a lovely face;
God in his mercy lend her grace,
The Lady of Shallot." --Lord Tennyson

2 comments:

categorically imperative said...

She was LP's schoolmate (same grade) and attended the same Kumon center. We went to the wake last week, I cried quietly while standing beside her casket. She looked so different from her pictures. From what I gathered from the teachers and other parents at the wake, little Geraldine's family life was far from traditional nor conventional, but she was generally a happy child, nonetheless.

TK said...

hope we could meet you and LP one of these days. happier days.

Letters to my kids about their childhood adventures



To Sage, Sabe, Sade & 3Stan

To Sage, Sabe, Sade & 3Stan
WELCOME!